Sunday, October 2, 2011

Martyr Son

Dear martyr son,

Do you remember when I broke my arm? You and I were playing "Special Ops." We wanted to avenge the death of your father. YES, YOUR FATHER. The one killed by the Syrian regime because they labeled him as a terrorist. Yes your father, the one who wanted to live in dignity. The one they accused of being a member of the "armed gangs." Does that term ring a bell?

I wonder what your father will say now. Thirty years later, you tell me that Assad, the son, is fighting armed gangs. You tell me that there is an international conspiracy against Syria. You tell me give Bashar a chance to reform. You tell that it is not the President, it is the people around him. You ask me who will replace Bashar? You tell me, you ask me, you tell me......

Why? Why son of a martyr? Aren't you proud of what your father stood for? Did the wolf that killed your father give birth to a sheep? Did you forget the principles that grandpa taught us? Did you forget that we have to speak for justice and on behalf of the weak no matter what?

Why? Why son of a martyr? Did the world forget all of its problems and decided that they must destroy Syria? Isn't forty-one years worth of meager improvements enough for one family? Did you miss all the corruption that they brought to the country? Isn't the President supposed to pick the people around him? Isn't ruling a country a big responsibility that those who can't handle must stay away from? Did no woman give birth in Syria to a capable man in four decades?

I am not waiting for your answer. You know the answers deep in your heart. I just hope that next time you visit your father's grave you can say, "dad, not only did I name my son after you, I also finished the job that you didn't have the time to finish before you went. I gave Syria its pride back. Rest in Peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment